Friday, April 3, 2009

Seek Joy Today

Psalm 126 NIV

1 When the LORD brought back the captives to Zion,
we were like men who dreamed.

2 Our mouths were filled with laughter,
our tongues with songs of joy.
Then it was said among the nations,
"The LORD has done great things for them."

3 The LORD has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.

4 Restore our fortunes, O LORD,
like streams in the Negev.

5 Those who sow in tears
will reap with songs of joy.

6 He who goes out weeping,
carrying seed to sow,
will return with songs of joy,
carrying sheaves with him.


I went to Sam’s Club last night and while checking out, I saw a beautiful new little life – she was so tiny – it’s amazing how quickly I forget how our three children started out. The dad holding the baby girl looked so proud and full of joy.

I started thinking about the joy I had when each of the kids were brand new. Then I pondered the joys of pregnancy. Here is a list of joys I remember right now (and my memory is fading – I encourage you to keep a pregnancy journal – I did not do that and really wish I had done that!). These are not in any particular order:

· The joy of telling my husband we were expecting (although usually he knew before I did just from seeing me and being around me).

· The joy of telling others about our pregnancy.

· The joy of seeing that little heartbeat early on in the pregnancy

· The joy of seeing the developing baby and learning the baby’s gender later on in the pregnancy.

· The joy of hearing a heartbeat at each appointment.

· The joy of having strangers open doors and be extra helpful when out shopping.

· The joy of wearing my first pregnancy clothes (ok – this joy was just the first time around – didn’t find as much joy in the other pregnancies with pregnancy clothes! With Klara and Adam’s pregnancies, I wanted to stay in my normal clothes as long as I could!)

· The joy of feeling that baby moving around.

· The joy of my husband and I being in awe of the moving baby as we lay in bed at night.

· The joy of sewing quilts for each little one on the way.

· The joy of dreaming and hoping for that baby.

· The joy of dreaming of that little life to teach about the Lord. The joy of reading aloud God's Word to that baby in the womb.

· The joy of seeing extended family’s excitement about this little life.

I pray today that you can find joy in the day, no matter how your body feels – no matter what anxious thoughts might enter into your mind.

I remember a friend who had experienced secondary infertility prior to her pregnancy say to me that she was enjoying each day being pregnant – that comment was such an encouragement to me. Each day with a baby in the womb should be as joyful and important as when they are out of the womb, being cared for and trained. Today is an important day in the life of your baby – think of all the things you are doing to care and grow this baby. Choose joy today. Enjoy your day with your baby.

We are looking at Psalm 126 today. The song is thought by many to have been written by God’s people who returned from their Babylonian exile. Imagine being held captive and then being able to return to your home – to that Promised Land God had given to the people. What joy they must have had.

Have you ever felt joy from God’s amazing blessing after time of “exile”? I remember the pure joy of being pregnant after our molar pregnancy and one year of healing and making sure my body was safe for a new little life. My tongue was filled with songs of joy (like verse 2). Warren & I rejoiced in what the Lord had done – those great things – we were filled with joy (v. 3).

I love verses 5 & 6 – the Lord surely did take those tears I sowed from past loss and brought me songs of joy. Even after our last two losses, we have not added any more children to our family, but the Lord has brought great joy and growth in my life because of those losses. God is faithful!

Enjoy your day carrying this precious little one today. Find joy in the day. Get a journal out and start writing daily what joys you are finding in pregnancy. Praise God for these joys. Praise Him for this precious life that is growing inside of you. Share with those around you: The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.” (v. 3).


Dear God,

I praise you for this little life growing inside of me. I thank you for how You are knitting this baby inside of me. Help me to find joy in today. I may be tired. I may be weary in body and/or in heart. God, I ask that you would bring to mind the many reasons I have to have joy today. When anxious thoughts come to my mind, bring Your Word to my mind to remind me that You are in control and that You have a plan for me and a plan for this baby. I praise You for bringing me the joy of this baby. I pray God that You would continue to mold and shape this baby to a healthy baby. And help me to find joy in my day today. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

I am praying for you dear ladies – for you, your baby, your husband, and any other children you are caring for. Have a blessed, joyful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment