Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Exchanging Strength

Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.

He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.

Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;

but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

Isaiah 40:28-31

Have you ever been tired or weary? Are you today? I think pregnancy bring on great tiredness and weariness, especially at the beginning and end of a pregnancy. God is using the energy and nutrients in your body to do amazing things to grow your baby.

Are you caring for other children today? Is there a “to do” list a mile long at work or at home? Are you overwhelmed? God calls us to look to Him for strength today.

As I looked at verse 31, at the word “renew,” my NIV Study Bible note says that the word for renew means “exchange”. Let’s read it that way: “But those who hope in the LORD will exchange their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”

Hope in the Lord doesn’t just give us strength that we’ve had before. God calls us to exchange our strength – to give up our strength – and to exchange it for the Lord’s strength.

How do we exchange our strength for the Lord’s strength? First, we have to spend daily time with Him. Quiet time with the Lord – praying to Him, reading His Word, being still with the Lord. We need to confess our sins to the Lord and ask for His assistance to get rid of those sinful habits. Hiding God’s Word in our hearts by Bible memorization is also a great way to exchange our strength for the Lord’s strength. It’s a process. It takes time.

Here’s an other interesting word picture. God has designed eagles so that they soar – they do not flap their wings frequently like other birds. Think about the difference between a hummingbird and an eagle. Are you feeling like you are flapping your wings frantically? When we exchange our strength for the strength of the Lord, we can soar like eagles – waiting for the right wind – the right current to come so that we can soar.

My prayer for you today is that you will take some quiet time with the Lord. Spend time in prayer with God. Talk to Him. Tell Him how great He is. Tell Him your worries, your cares. Get into His Word so that you can learn about how great He is. If you do not have a Bible, go here to read the Bible online. Copy and paste Isaiah 40: 28-31 and put it around your house to be reminded to look to the Lord for strength – to exchange your strength for the Lord’s. Don’t be overwhelmed – take baby steps – little by little you will find that you can’t get enough of God and His Word. When you don’t feel like it, do it anyway. I have found even when I’m not in the mood to be in His Word, the feelings come over time with discipline, persistence, and obedience to spending time in His Word. I am praying for you today, dear ladies – for you and for your baby – and all of your family!

Dear God,

Thank you for this day. Thank you for Your Word. Thank you for the promise that when I exchange my strength for Your strength, You will cause me to soar like an eagle. I praise You, Lord, that You never grow weary. Thank you for creating me. Help me to stop being a hummingbird. Help me to keep my focus on You today so that I can soar like an eagle. Thank you God for creating this precious little life growing inside of me. Please continue to grow this baby to a healthy baby. When anxiety fills my mind, remind me of Your Word and of Your great plan for me and for my baby. Help me to shift my focus from me to You. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

As a side note, I spent time this morning absorbed in some data on the internet in regards to eagles that I later found was not correct. There is a myth out there that eagles in their later years have to break their beaks and talons - pull off old feathers and grow new ones. This information is a myth. This has been a reminder to me to look closely at information found online - don't believe everything you read!


No comments:

Post a Comment